Qualifications Advice and Guidance


When you’ve finished your GCSEs, you can carry on studying subjects you like, take vocational qualifications, or an apprenticeship. You can also train while you work by taking on an apprenticeship, traineeship or supported internship.

Full time study

Schools, colleges and training providers offer a range of subjects and courses that you can study. If you are planning to go to university. You normally need to have at least five GCSEs at grades A* to C (or an equivalent qualification) and may need at least a grade B in any specific subjects you want to study.

Work and job-related courses

NVQs and BTECs are good qualifications to take if you want to combine practical learning with studying subjects and technical skills.


You work for an employer and train to do a specific job at the same time.


Gets you ready for work or an apprenticeship. They last from six weeks to six months and provide essential work preparation training, literacy and numeracy skills and work experience to get an apprenticeship or other job.

Supported internship

Just for students with learning difficulties or learning disabilities who want to get a job and need extra support to do this. They last for at least six months and are unpaid. You get work experience and an employer trains you to do a job role. You also get to study for qualifications or other courses to help you get ready to take up a job.

Work or volunteer while studying part-time

You can combine training or studying for a qualification and work at the same time. It doesn’t have to be a paid job, you can volunteer on a project or with a charity, or get a work-experience placement in a career or job area that interests you.

Colleges and training providers

Offer a wide range of training courses that are part-time, including A levels and work-related qualifications like BTECs or NVQs.


For more help and advice follow the link to UCAS 16-18 Choices.

Sign up